As you enter Anshe Chesed Fairmount Temple, one of the first sights you encounter is Jerusalem stone adorning the walls of our Spiegle-Sukenik Atrium. This choice is but one reflection at Anshe Chesed of our love of Israel, and our desire to link our community with Israel in love, solidarity, and with prayers for the peace of Jerusalem.
NEW – Rabbi Elle Muhlbaum and Cantor Vladimir Lapin will lead a multi-generational trip to Israel in December, 2023! You can see the full itinerary here.
Still have questions? Reach out to Rabbi Muhlbaum here and Cantor Lapin here.
We encourage all our members to learn about Israel – her culture, music, art, people and history, and to build a sense of solidarity and connection with our spiritual Homeland. Each year we seek to grow the meaning of our bond with Israel through:
- Hosting annual Adult education, cultural arts programs and lectures about the State of Israel
- Leading trips to Israel so that members of our community will see Israel with their own eyes and have the mitzvah of making pilgrimage to Israel as a community. These trips help us grow our understanding of Israel and knowledge about current events happening there. Our clergy have led Trips to Israel for adults and families, as well as participating in interfaith trips.
- Participating and often hosting Cleveland community celebrations of Israel such as Yom Ha-Atzmaut (Israel’s Independence Day) and Yom Ha-Zikaron (Israel’s Memorial Day)
- Strongly encouraging all religious school students to set a goal of visiting Israel
- Adding songs of Israel to our worship, to choral presentations, and to retreat settings for children and families
- Providing through Anshe Chesed matching investments with each participating family in the Gift of Israel incentive savings program
- Supporting ARZA (the Association of Reform Zionists of America), through hundreds of our members joining and financially investing in the cause of building Reform Judaism in Israel
- Investing in State of Israel Bonds – Bar and Bat Mitzvah students are strongly encouraged to make a “bond” with Israel by financially purchasing a State of Israel Bond. As an incentive, a special fund at Anshe Chesed matches that bond
- Praying for Israel- regularly adding Israel to our holiday, festival and Shabbat prayers, along with meaningful teachings and sermons focusing on Israel by our clergy